From traffic to so many queues at bus stops, getting to work early as a Lagosian can sometimes be stressful.
As a career-person living in Lagos, one of the things you might be familiar with is traffic. In addition, one of the things you look forward to is getting to work early and beating traffic.
I have had several experiences with getting to work late, and to tell you the truth, it is something I don’t like.
There are so many benefits of getting to work early, and here are some of them:
- You start work early
- You have enough time to prepare for the day’s work
- It helps to reduce stress that you might have encountered due to rushing to get to work, etc.
And so, here are some tips for getting to work early as a Lagosian:
- Sleep early: One of the things you need to do is to sleep early so as to wake up early. You might have heard this several times, but don’t forget it is true. I have had several experiences where I slept late and I work up so late for work. It wasn’t funny!
- Set an alarm: There are so many useful alarm apps to download online that you can use on your phone. You can also use the alarm that came with your phone if you choose to. Better still, getting a proper alarm clock and make use of that. There are so many online stores in Nigeria where you can buy alarm clocks from. Use a proper alarm clock if you don’t want to use your phone, remember that using a proper alarm clock is much better than using your phone as an alarm.
- Prepare your bag the night before: Prepare your bag the night before. In addition, plan the outfit you will wear to work before that day. Some people also plan the outfits they would wear for a week during the weekend, you can do that as well.
- Plan to get to work before the resumption time: One of the things I have learnt is to plan to get to work before the resumption time. This is because sometimes there might be traffic or some other things, so I plan to get to work before the resumption time.
- Have an accountability partner: You can also tell somebody about your ‘getting to work early’ goal. You can tell someone who can remind you of your goal, and also assist you with it. Also, you can tell someone you know who wakes up early to wake you up when he/she is awake, for instance, you can tell your sister who wakes up early to wake you up or tell your friend who you know wakes up early to wake you up when he/she is awake.
- Listen to traffic updates: There are so many radio shows that give traffic updates, find a suitable one and listen to it when you are about leaving for work, this will also help you know some routes to avoid and some to take. In addition, there are so many social media accounts that give traffic updates, especially on Twitter, you can also follow some too, to get real-time traffic updates.
What tricks and tips do you use to avoid Lagos traffic and arrive work early? Please share with us in the comment box below. Thank you!
Featured Image via: TechPoint