Most Lagosians like ‘owambes’. They like parties and the jollying that comes with it. They like to have fun, relax, and enjoy themselves after a work day or work week.
If you are the one planning a Lagos party, you know it’s a different ballgame. Planning a Lagos party can sometimes be stressful because of the things the person planning has to do or take care of.
When planning a Lagos party, be it a wedding, a birthday party, a naming ceremony, etc. it is important that you get the details right. This is so has to ensure that your guests enjoy every moment of the party.
Here are some things to note when planning a Lagos party:
- Who are the stakeholders involved? If you’re planning a Lagos party ensure that you already know who the stakeholders are so has to take note of the requirements of every one of them. For instance, if you’re planning a Naija wedding, you need to take into consideration the bride and the groom, parents of the bride and groom, as well as other stakeholders.
- Who will be attending? Another thing you need to note is those that will be attending the event. This will help you in the planning of other things such as food and drinks. It is important to also plan for additional people. You know sometimes you might be going to an ‘owanbe’, and you might tell your friend to come along. And so, if you are expecting 300 guests, also planning for other people that might be coming along, for instance, you can plan for 100 more people.
- Venue: there are now so many event halls in Lagos and you can easily look for one that is befitting. However, you might not want to use an event hall, you can think of a space in your house or maybe your garden, that people can easily access.
- Will there be Aso Ebi? You need to know this before you start sending out invites or before you start telling people officially, this is because they will probably ask you if there is ‘aso ebi’, especially for occasions like weddings. When planning for ‘aso ebi’, also think about the souvenirs that will accompany it because most people will expect souvenirs when they buy ‘aso ebi’
- Invitations: you also have to send out invitation cards to those people you have identified that will be coming. Furthermore, in Lagos, one of the things people do is to send invitations via Whatsapp or you can tell people about it on Facebook. However, depending on the kind of event it is, send invites via WhatsApp and Facebook might not be enough, you need to also send a proper invitation card.
- Food and Drinks: food and drinks are important in parties. You should endeavour to plan for adequate food and drinks for the people you have invited, as well as take into consideration the fact that more people might come than you budgeted. In some Lagos parties, I have seen that some people contract food for the party to more than one caterers. You can also do that if you want, just ensure that you give it to someone or people who can cook well.
- Plan the music: which DJ will you call? Or which Musician will be coming to play at the party? Another thing that Lagosians do, especially for weddings is to get a DJ and a live band or musician for the party.
- Get a good M.C.: a good M.C. will make your event fun and the activities well-coordinated
It is important to know that there are other things to note, however, these are some of the basic things to note. And the requirements or things to note might vary depending on the kind of event you are planning.
Photo Via: 360 nobs